MANEB was established in 1987 when the Malawi Government decided to merge two examinations administration centres namely, the Malawi Certificate of Education & Testing Board (MCE&TB) and the Examination Section of the Ministry and Culture. Following this decision, the MCE&TB Act was amended in April 1987 to reflect the birth of the one central Authority, the Malawi National Examinations Board (MANEB). This Board was, by this Act, given the responsibility to develop and administer all Public Examinations in Malawi.
Background to MANEB
MANEB is headed by the Executive Director. The Executive Director is assisted by the Deputy Executive Director who co-ordinates six departments; each headed by a director. The departments are:-
- The Examinations Department which is responsible for the development and conduct of all examinations.
- The Computer Services Department which is mainly concerned with data processing and analysis.
- The Research and Test Development Department which is concerned with research into quality of examinations and students' performance, the development of test items, the conduct of aptitude tests and training of markers among its responsibilities.
- The Security Department whose main function is to provide security to the development, administration, and processing, monitoring and packing of examinations; investigation of examinations malpractices; development and installation of security measures and certification of candidates and the overall security of the Board's property and premises.
- The Finance Department which is mainly concerned with financial management and its accounting.
- The Administration Department which is a service department, dealing with human resource management and general administration.