The Department's main responsibility is development and administration of examinations. It is divided into three sections: Examinations Logistics, External Examinations and Education. Each section works hand in hand with the other to compliment the efforts of the department.
- Registration of candidates, advertisement, general communication, examination centre lists and queries.
- Production of examination timetables.
- Examination administration.
- Appointment and briefing of invigilators and supervisors.
- Release of results.
- Item development - setting, moderation, type setting and printing
- Production of Chief Examiners' Reports.
- Determination of examination paper formats.
- Primary School Leaving Certificate of Education (PSLCE)
- Malawi School Certificate of Education (MSCE)
- Primary Teachers Certificate of Education (PTCE)
- Craft and External